Hello students. I am very excited and pleased to teach ESL; it is one of my passions in life. I became interested in teaching, especially to ESL students, after I traveled around the world by myself for one year. In that year, I traveled to 17 different countries (such as Fiji, Vietnam, India, and Turkey) and was lucky enough to experience different cultures, people, places, and activities. After making this trip, I have retained this “travel bug” and make it a priority to travel to a new country at least one month out of every year. Sometimes, I think teaching ESL is like traveling without having to get on a plane as students always bring their unique experiences with them to the class. In fact, I think sharing our own cultures and life experiences in class through writing, class discussion, and group work helps set up a collaborative learning atmosphere. When I'm not teaching, grading, or preparing for class, my other “hobbies” include reading, taking postsecondary education/TESL classes (I think continual education for everyone is important), traveling, playing the occasional video game, fixing up my house, and participating in all kinds of physical activity, from yoga to surfing to mini-triathlons.
- B.A. English, University of California, Santa Barbara
- B.A. Sociology, University of California, Santa Barbara
- M.A. English with TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) emphasis, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- Post-Secondary Reading & Learning Certificate, California State University, Fullerton
- TESL Certificate , University of California, Irvine