The Irvine Valley College Honors Program is designed to meet the needs of academically talented and highly motivated students. The program offers eligible students access to the following opportunities:
- Small, seminar-style honors classes
- Enriched coursework
- Interaction with other motivated students
- Recognition on transcripts and at graduation
- Guaranteed priority admission review at many transfer institutions, including UCLA and UCI
- Dedicated honors scholarships
- Designated honors counselor
- Priority registration for classes
- Honors study lounge in LA 107
- Leadership positions
- Field trips and field studies
- Social and cultural activities
- Complimentary library card at UCI and UCLA
Eligible students may enroll in honors-designated courses, most of which meet the general education transfer requirements for the University of California and California State University systems.
For special consideration by transfer institutions and for recognition on the IVC academic transcript, Honors Program students must accomplish the following.
Coursework: Students must complete a minimum of five honors courses and 15 letter-graded units of honors-designated coursework during their academic career at IVC (courses taken on a credit/no-credit basis do not fulfill Honors Program requirements). Students must also complete two honors courses per year (after admittance to the program) in order to maintain good standing and must complete at least two of the five honors classes prior to their final spring semester. Although students can earn credit towards completion with honors courses taken at other colleges, a minimum of 3 honors courses and 9 honors units must be taken at IVC. To be eligible for transfer agreements, students must complete these course requirements by the end of the spring semester before transfer.
GPA: Students must maintain a 3.25 GPA in their UC-transferable coursework and a 3.25 GPA in their honors courses; for UCLA TAP consideration, students must attain a 3.5 overall GPA.
Portfolio: Students must submit an Honors Student Learning Portfolio within 2 weeks after completing Honors Program course requirements or within 2 weeks after completing their final semester at IVC.