Revised Honors Program Application Instructions as of 11/20/2020
Due to COVID-19 school closures, the requirement for letters of recommendation has been replaced with a portfolio.
Incoming freshmen can apply to IVC as soon as Freshmen Advantage opens. However, the Honors Program will accept applications from incoming freshmen only after
- their senior year fall semester grades are posted to their high school transcripts, and
- after they have completed the IVC application and matriculation process.
Please remember that you must complete Steps 1-6 of matriculation before applying to the Honors Program. (Steps 7 and 8 are not required before Honors application submission.) Do not submit your Honors Program application until you have completed Steps 1-6 or we will not be able to accept it:
- STEP 1: Apply for Admission
- STEP 2: Complete Math and English/ESL Placement
- STEP 3: Submit High School Transcripts
- STEP 4: Complete Advisement
- STEP 5: Develop a First Semester Plan
- STEP 6: Complete Orientation
- STEP 7: Complete FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application
- STEP 8: Register for Classes
To apply, send ONE email containing all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use subject heading “Honors Program Application Materials – Your Name.”
1. A COMPLETED APPLICATION FORM
Download the fillable Honors Program application form and complete it. Save the file in this format:
- Example: JamieSmithApp
2. TRANSCRIPTS or TEST SCORES
A copy of your high school transcript, reflecting the cumulative record beginning with 9th grade and including final fall semester grades for senior year, demonstrating a GPA of 3.25 or better (non-weighted academic).
A copy of one of the following test score reports: SAT 1260 (of 1600), SAT 1890 (of 2400), or ACT 28 (of 36).
If you have completed any college coursework, you must also submit unofficial transcripts from all colleges attended. GPA calculations will be based on all transfer-level college work, so you must submit ALL college transcripts with your application.
A portfolio of student work that includes a minimum of 3 items that demonstrate academic potential. Items in portfolio should be clearly labeled with your name and may include (but are not limited to) writing samples, artwork, and multimedia presentations. Compile all 3 items into a single PDF document; do not submit Google document links.
4. PERSONAL ESSAY
A personal essay describing what you are looking for from your college experience, how the IVC Honors Program would help you achieve your goals, and what you will contribute to the Honors Program community. Write the essay in college-level prose (500 words minimum) and include your name at the top of the first page.
- Freshmen wanting priority registration for the fall semester must complete matriculation and submit their Honors Program application by the mid-April Freshman Advantage deadline.
- If you do not meet the membership requirements yet, you may still enroll in Honors classes. You may apply to the program as a continuing student once you have a 3.25 GPA with 12 or more transferable college units.